WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Friday, March 9, 2018

Review: The New Neighbors

The New Neighbors The New Neighbors by Simon Lelic
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: THE NEW NEIGHBORS by Simon Lelic

Psychological thrillers, as a subgenre, are often billed or blurbed as "complex, riveting, horrifying." As a lifelong devourer of hauntings, I ponder: "horrifying? Really?" But sometimes this category of fiction delivers exactly that: I think of Ann Troup, Riley Sager, and now, of Simon Lelic. I really expected this engrossing novel to offer a spooky haunted house. There are hauntings, all right: individuals haunted by the past that is ever with them, the never-ending horror of their present, and more than one haunted by their own evil. So even though I didn't find the traditional haunted house, even though I didn't find a murderous neighbor, shades of Dr. Crippen, I found a riveting and compelling psychological mystery with plenty of past and present horror and more twists than an angry python.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment